Dear Women 50 and over or who will one day be 50
I am a woman. I have recently hit 50. Well its a bit less recent than I like to admit. For the last three years I have been under the impression that I was 51 until a friend recently informed me that she was 53 and I am a year older than her. Ahhhhh!!!!! 54 is so close to 55 and not as far away from 60 as I would like.
At this point I should make it clear that I am not afraid of growing old. There is only one other option to growing old and that is to die and I nearly very did when I was 40 and I didn’t enjoy it very much at all. I determined then and there I would never fight growing old. Growing old I saw was a Gift not afforded to everyone. I thought I would always feel this way having narrowly escaped death at 40 but ….
But I’m not sure I like growing older either. So what have I found out about being over fifty. Well this is the list:
- men no longer let their gaze linger on me as walk down the street instead they don’t even see me and their heads quickly turn to take in the 20 and 30 somethings.
- the only men who flirt with me now are so old and decrepit they have urine stains on the front of their trousers.
- No one and I mean no one values my opinion, not in the workplace anyway, its always “why don’t we just hear from some of the younger staff present” and I think my kids are only being polite or humouring me and pretending to listen to me.
- the day I turned 50 my body betrayed me and my eyes were “No you’re fifty now so I need bifocals, yep definitely need daggy bifocals”
- sleep looks good after 9.30pm
- a good pot of tea looks more attractive than sex
- most films are boring and are either plot A with a car chase and shoot out or plot B with boy girl meets, boy girl fight, boy girl end up happily ever after at LA International after the boarding gate has closed and he has forced his way illegally onto the plane which is held up on the runway so he can declare his love.
- its really hard to make new friends when you are over 50 as most people have their “friend set”
- its lonely over 50 and there are a lot of 50 + women at the pokies
- my body is betraying me and my waist has thickened without even giving me notice of its intention to do so
At my age my Gran was busy being a Gran. But these days lots of 50 + women are grandchildless and still feeling in their prime despite the bifocals. That’s me.
Fifty or not I am determined to:
- meet other women which is why I have started this blog so write to me please
- give up or control how much I go to the pokies from boredom and loneliness
- be an attractive 50+ that men under 105 might want to still take a glance at before moving onto the 20 and 30 somethings
- get a trendy pair of bifocals
- fight my body and lose weight
- make this part of my life as important as any other part of my life